Running out of ideas?
Have the two of you been doing the same thing every weekend? Trying to find somewhere else to go that doesn’t involve the mall? No need to fret! Here’s a list of non-mainstream activities that you can do as a couple.
Note: Always try to make a reservation first.
Move your bodies and learn a new martial art or sport together. Parkour aka Free Running is a popular choice among the youth. It builds strength, balance, endurance and agility. It may not be for everyone, but it’s worth a try. I only know of one place that runs a workshop for this: Ninja Academy.
Their sessions aren’t continuous, so it doesn’t matter if you skip a couple of weeks. The course and the layout are flexible, adapting to the average skill level of the class.
Locations: #155 Dr. Sixto Antonio Ave., Pasig City, Philippines
Phone: (+632) 624-2872/ (+63917) 565-8945
Monday to Friday: 1PM to 9PM
Saturday: 11AM to 9PM
Sunday: 11AM to 7PM
If you haven’t done either of these by now, then you probably should. Both can be quite exhilarating. Archery and gun firing have become more accessible today as more ranges entered the scene.
1. Gandiva Archery Range & Cafe (Ortigas): This is the most comfortable yet most expensive range. It’s fully air-conditioned, spacious and well-lighted. However, they’ve hiked up their price at least twice in the past 3 years.
Location: Unit 703-705 One Corporate Center, Julia Vargas corner Meralco Ave., Ortigas Center, Pasig City, Philippines
Phone: (+632) 638-8771
Sunday to Thursday: 10AM to 7PM
Friday to Saturday: 10AM to 9PM
2. Kodanda Archery Range (Makati): This is relatively new range similar to Gandiva but not performing with the same standards. It’s not as well-lighted since it’s underground, but it’s spacious enough.
Location: Makati Cinema Square, Chino Roces Ave., Makati City, Philippines
Phone: (+632) 774-5410
Monday to Sunday: 10:30AM to 7:30PM
3. The Archery Academy (San Juan): Relatively new, it was founded by some students and lovers of archery. While the range may be half the size as the other two, the instructors here have a more personal approach in handling inexperienced archers. They also like to shoot without sights, promoting the belief that one should shoot with his/her heart and not with the eyes.
Location: 5th Floor, Intrawest Center, #33 Annapolis St., Brgy. Greenhills, San Juan, Philippines
Phone: (+63917) 803-7422
Wednesday to Friday: 3:00PM to 9:00PM
Saturday to Sunday: 9:00AM to 4:00PM
- Sagittarium Archery (QC): It doesn’t just offer the recurve and the compound bows, but it also allows you to explore crossbows! How awesome would it be to wield one?
Location: 4th Floor A & A Bldg, #37 Scout Borromeo St., South Triangle, Quezon City
Phone: (+632) 576-0774
Monday to Friday: 1:00PM to 9:00PM
Saturday: 11:00AM to 9:00PM
Sunday: 11:00AM to 7:00PM
1. Commander Shooting Range (Cubao, QC): Commander not only gives you the option to shoot with automatic hand guns, but it also allows you to use revolvers and shot guns as well. The range is often outsourced by security guard companies to train newbies.
Location: #6 12th Avenue, Murphy Cubao, Quezon City, 1109 Cubao, Quezon City, Philippines
Phone: (+632) 709-4076
Monday to Saturday: 8AM to 7PM
Sunday: 8AM to 5PM
2. Stronghand Shooting Range (E. Rodriguez, QC)
Location: La Défense Building, 1660 E. Rodriguez Sr. Ave., Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Phone: (+632) 721-7174/ (+63927) 424-3855
Monday to Saturday: 10AM to 7PM
Sunday: 8AM to 10PM
Paint @ Sip & Gogh
A pioneer in commercializing painting workshops, Sip & Gogh has managed to turn something tough to something more manageable. Upon picking an image or an existing painting to replicate, you can finish within two hours with your artwork looking like a masterpiece. You will be served with a glass of wine (or juice) with a platter of cheese, cold cuts and hors d’oeurves in the process. Be sure to make a reservation first!
Location: 1 Capitol Hills Drive, 1119 Quezon City, Philippines
Phone: (+632) 961 – 1248 / (+63999) 887 – 6190
Tuesday to Friday: 4PM – 11PM
Saturday to Sunday: 10AM – 11PM
Go Kart Racing @ City Kart Racing
Got a need for speed? Burn some rubber as you race against each other at City Kart Racing.
Location: Circuit Makati, Barangay Carmona, 1207 Makati City, Philippines
Phone: (+632) 856-9155/ (+63917) 874-2010/ (+63917) 455-1060
E-mail: email@example.comOperating Hours:Monday to Thursday: 3PM to 12AMFriday to Sunday: 10AM to 12AM
Watch a Musical/Play
Feeling fancy? There’s always a new musical or play coming to town. You just have to keep an eye out for them: TicketWorld Manila or TicketNet . The big productions are naturally more expensive, but if you’re after Broadway-grade performance, then you’ll need to spend a few thousand Pesos to get it.
Have a Photo Shoot
It’s fun! You dress up, pose, act…whatever! I prefer to do it at The Picture Company because the studios are huge and the staff takes their time to be with you. Each photo can go as high as PHP 900, and even maybe more if you’re not registered as a member. The facilities and the quality of service justify the price at TPC. It would help if you have some ideas of your own so you can prepare your outfits and your poses. After the shoot, you get to collaborate with your photographer on how you want your selected shots to be edited.
As a member, you can upgrade your printouts (+PHP 100) to get the Hi-Res digital file. You also get free portrait shots on your birthday and your anniversary. The membership fee is worth PHP 2,500, but it’s good for two years. You can opt to give away your “second” year to someone else, or you can use it for yourself three or even six years from now.
Locations & Phone:
- The Podium: (+632) 634-2632
- Shangri-la Plaza: (+632) 997-9362
- Greenbelt 5: (+632) 756-0020
- Power Plant Mall: (+632) 898-2657
- Glorietta 4: (+632) 801-1843
- C1 Bonifacio High Street Central: (+632) 897-3773
- Alabang Town Center: (+632) 809-7370
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com